Date:      Thu, 01 Apr 1999 05:12:44 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        Jeff Fisher <a03572@opus.ies-energy.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routing probs.

Roelof Osinga wrote:

> Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
> 10/24              link#1             UC          0        0      ep0
> 10.0.0.2           0:80:1e:0:1:68     UHLW        4      432      ep0   1172
> 127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1          UH          0        0      lo0
> 194.134.128        194.134.128.1      UGSc        0        0      ep1 =>
> 194.134.128/22     link#2             UC          0        0      ep1
> 194.134.128.1      link#2             UHLW        1        4      ep1

I just found out that I do in fact have a connection to the Net of sorts.
'nslookup' works as advertised, I can do a whois on, say, eboa.com, I
can even get a 'lynx eboa.com' to work. However, I can not ping. I
can't ping my gateway, nor eboa.com, nor some others. Which I can do
from the Linux host once I plug the cable back into it.

I do have the ICMP_BANDLIM option active, but surely that merely
limits it; not plain kill it?

There were some other things I don't trust, but which I'm not sure
about. Like one host I used to test is in fact down. Unfortunately
that is also the host I use to get back to my host. Ah well.

Now for something quite different. Some time ago there was a question
asked regarding a long delay whilest recognizing winchesters. What I
found out was that excluding the secondary - and unused - IDE controller
from the kernel speeds the booting process up remarkably. I verified
with deleting it from kernel.GENERIC but no contest. The custom kernel
just blazes through whilest generic waits and waits for something that
isn't there. Or rather, it is, but without any disks attached to it.

Roelof

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.