Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:57:39 -0500
From:      "Chuck O'Donnell" <cao@bus.net>
To:        "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@iMach.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: edquota problem

On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 12:32:24PM -0700, Forrest W. Christian wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Chuck O'Donnell wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure what the best answer is for the long term. Would a perl
> > one-liner help the immediate need? e.g.,
> >
> > edquota -p usrtmpl `perl -e '$u=getpwnam($ARGV[0]);print "$u-$u"' 2-xhibit`
>
> You know, every once in a while someone comes up with a solution I look at
> and say to myself "Duuuuuuh!"
>
> I already have the uid available.   (This is being ran from a custom perl
> add-user script).  I will fix my script accordingly.  That will be more
> reliable than the username anyways.
>
> However, this might be something someone should look at fixing long-term.
> Who "owns" this code?  And/or where should this be discussed?

$ ident /usr/sbin/edquota
/usr/sbin/edquota:
     $Id: edquota.c,v 1.8 1999/01/01 13:15:02 bde Exp $

looks like the last person to work on the code was Bruce Evans
<bde@FreeBSD.org>.

but that doesn't necessarily mean he wants to do the modification :)

i'd look for interest starting with freebsd-questions, and then maybe
on freebsd-hackers if no response.

you may want to look around to see what freebsd considers to be a
valid username first though... if names like `2-xhibit' fall out of
that spec, then you're probably less likely to gain support for
acceptance of a change. note the following from `adduser(8)':

     username
             Login name. May contain only lowercase characters or digits.

that's probably why this hasn't come up before.

good luck,

chuck