Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 13:24:18 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        tarkhil@asteroid.svib.ru
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Soft-updates feedback

Alex Povolotsky wrote:

> About a week ago, I've posted a message here and didn't got positive replies.
>
> The problem is:
>
> when I use soft-updates on IDE disks (disk on primary master, disk on
> secondary master, CD on primary slave), any active disk-using program
> (starting Netscape, starting EXMH) causes all other programs literally to stop
> for several seconds (well, 20-30 seconds is quite often!). Turning
> soft-updates off causes this nastiness to disappear, but also slows down
> disk-active processess.
>
> Alex.

I saw this behaviour before..
It was with an IDE disk drive running in PIO mode

turning on DMA mode for the disk fixed it.
I have  no idea as to what was goin wrong, however I
suggest that you try a kernel from -current as there has been a lot of
change in the areas that might cause this sort of thing.

julian