Date:      Thu, 05 Jul 2007 20:21:42 +0800
From:      Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   unknown: <PNP0f13> can't assign resources (irq)

Dear list

I have seen strange message in my dmesg which says it cannot assign
resources to PNP device:

[snip]
sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x300>
vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on
isa0
unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0f13> can't assign resources (irq)
unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources (port)
unknown: <PNP0c02> can't assign resources (memory)
unknown: <PNP0400> can't assign resources (port)
pcm0: <CS423x> at port 0x530-0x537,0x388-0x38b,0x220-0x233 irq 5 drq 1,0 on isa0
[/snip]

I have googled around and discussion around the the topic of "PNPxxx
cannot assign resouce" mostly happen in 2002 ~ 2005, they have suggested
not to use PNPBIOS option in kernel, which I didn't use at all and
cannot see references to this kernel option (so should be a removed
option). Others on the forums suggested (in 2003) that I should disable
PNP feature in BIOS, which is impossible for me because my old IBM
Thinkpad don't offer such config option (the only config option had been
change system date/time and start-up-sequence). Even if it doesn't
affect the use of the system I'd like to know a bit about the background
knowledge. At least two devices on my FreeBSD doesn't work, the COM port
and the second PCMCIA slot (anything on that slot doesn't work), though
I don't think the two devices are related to this kernel message.