Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2012 23:32:06 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bernhard_Fr=F6hlich?= <decke@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VirtualBox: why there is no Passthrough checkbox on Storage screen?

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com> wrote:
> All conditions from section 23.3.3 are satisfied (atapicam is in kernel and
> device permissions are right).
> But storage screen only allows me to select some iso file to export into
> guest. Passthrough checkbox never shows up on the Storage window.
> For example, under IDE I see "IDE Primary Master", etc choices, it says
> CD/DVD Drive but never offers passthrough (checkbox always stays invisible).
>
> How to understand why isn't passthrough available?
>
> DVD drive is recognized by system as:
> cd0 at ata2 bus 0 scbus9 target 0 lun 0
> cd0: <PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-112D 1.21> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device

I've just verified it on my box and it just works. So it's hard to find out what
the problem is. I remember that I had some problems in the past after updating
the kernel but I did not recompile cdrtools or dvd+rw-tools which caused all the
atapi commands to strangely fail when trying to burn a DVD. VirtualBox also
uses that tools so I'd recommend that you just rebuild those two and check
if it helps.

--
Bernhard Froehlich
http://www.bluelife.at/