Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:34:11 +0000
From:      Mick Walker <mwalker@codegurus.org>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Copyright Issues

Hi all,

Sorry if this post is off topic.
Last night me and a few friends decided to go for a few quiet drinks
after playing football for a few hours. For this we choose a little pub
in the village of Yarm (Close to Middlesbrough in the north east of the
UK), the name does escapes me at this time, but I believe it had some
reference to a 'Ox' in the title.

Now, getting to the point, I was shocked when I went into the toilet
facilities in the pub, and found one of those vending machines that sell
novelty items of a sexual nature, featuring on the design something that
looked remarkably similar to the BSD Daemon.
Having my camera cell phone with me, I took a few snaps which are
located here:
http://codegurus.org/~mwalker/Image045.jpg
http://codegurus.org/~mwalker/Image046.jpg
http://codegurus.org/~mwalker/Image047.jpg
http://codegurus.org/~mwalker/Image049.jpg
http://codegurus.org/~mwalker/Image050.jpg

The company that supplies these vending machines is called Naughty Vend
(http://www.naughtyvend.com/). I have checked their site, and I find no
reference to and copyright credits to the original artist. To the best
of my knowledge, the BSD Daemon is copyrighted by Marshall Kirk
McKusick.
Is this a case of copyright theft? As obviously they are a profit making
company. Or have i got totally the wrong end of the stick.

Mick Walker