Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 17:32:49 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@dk.tfs.com>
To:        davidb@melb.convergent.com.au (David Burren)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updated netboot code (who should I send it to?)

I guess the best thing is to send a PR (send-pr) with the patch.

I'll look at it as soon as I can, this is unlikely to be fast, but
your patch will not be lost that way, and other people can get to
it too.

Poul-Henning

In message <199706100624.QAA02911@duchess.melb.arcsystems.com.au>, David Burren
 writes:
>I've got some changes to the FreeBSD netboot code, and would like to
>know where to send them to in case people would like them in -current.
>
>The diffs are against today's (970610) -current tree, so there
>shouldn't be too much work.
>
>A summary of the changes:
>
>- Added serial console functions, similar to the "biosboot" bootblocks.
>  If a keyboard is not detected, COM1 will be used, and the RB_SERIAL
>  flag is passed to the loaded kernel.
>  Two #defines affect this: FORCE_SERIAL skips the keyboard probe,
>  and ECHO_BIOS duplicates serial output to the screen for debugging.
>
>- Changed "Boot from Network (Y/N) ?" prompting to timeout, with
>  the default behaviour being controlled by a compile-time option
>  (which also affects the response to an Enter at this prompt).
>
>- Added COMPLAIN_RFC1048 #define to control the "Unknown RFC1048-tag"
>  messages.  My DHCP environment defines lots of default options, and
>  if this program doesn't understand them, it shouldn't care.
>
>- The .COM versions now exit back to DOS if the user decides to quit
>  instead of attempting to reboot the machine.  This means that the
>  programs can usefully be inserted into an AUTOEXEC.BAT.
>
>- CVS revision string from netboot.h is inserted into the image.
>  I needed some way to keep track of different EPROM revisions...
>
>I did the work in a 2.1.7 environment, and have just finished merging
>the changes back into a -current snapshot from today (of course, some
>of my other changes are now obsolete :-).  Once I've done some basic
>testing of that I can send the patches off, but I need to know where.
>
>Thanks
>__
>David Burren
>davidb@convergent.com.au

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.