Date:      Thu, 3 Apr 1997 21:23:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Niklas Saers, a.k.a. Beren of Ewox" <niklass@persbraten.vgs.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Questions

On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Niklas Saers, a.k.a. Beren of Ewox wrote:

> >2.2 is the first release that includes full CD-R support for the
> >Plasmon RF41xx, HP4020i, HP6020i, and Philips CDD2000 drives.  The
> >driver is still under development (in particular to extend its
> >usability for other devices), but it has been proved to be stable
> >by now.
>
> Is there software included for burning CD-R's? Where can I find more
> information about this?

Yes.  Some information is in the Handbook, more in
/usr/share/examples/worm.

> Is Pentium Pro or Pentium II supported? Or does it have to emulate a
> standard Pentium to work (and thus decreasing its performance)?

They are all supported, but the question is whether there is any
P6-specific code in there.  I think the best we have is the Pent-optimized
bcopy.  But it will work.

> >3Com 3C509, 3C579, 3C589 (PCMCIA), 3C590/592/595/900/905 PCI and EISA
> >(Fast) Etherlink III / (Fast) Etherlink XL
>
> Does 3c509b go as 3c509, or is this card not supported? How about the Accton
> PCI combo cards?

The 3c509 and the 3c509b are equivalent.  The Accton cards, historically,
have been Digital 21040-based, so the de driver should work with them.