Date:      Thu, 07 Oct 2010 17:59:55 -0500
From:      CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo@cyberleo.net>
To:        Mark Moellering <mark@msen.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Help with RealTek 8201 / rlphy

On 10/07/2010 11:50 AM, Mark Moellering wrote:
>  I am installing FreeBSD 8.1 on an MSI wind notebook, which has a
> RealTek 8201 wireless chip.  The kernel acknowledges the chip as rlphy0
> on mii but I have no idea of how to actually configure it.
> It shows up as miibus/rlphy in kldstat and as dev.rlphy.0
> It does not show up under ifconfig

RTL8201 appears to be a phy for interfacing with 10/100baseT ethernet
networks, and is generally paired (via miibus) with a media-independent
adapter using one of rl(4) or re(4).

This is not an 802.11 wifi device.

You will probably have to look elsewhere in pciconf or usbconfig for
evidence of your notebook's wireless adapter and its true chipset.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo

Furry Peace! - http://wwww.fur.com/peace/