Date:      Tue, 2 Aug 2005 12:07:01 -0600
From:      Ken Gunderson <kgunders@teamcool.net>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TYAN Transport TA26 (B2882)  BIOS V3.03

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:34:54 -0700
"David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 11:37:09AM -0600, Ken Gunderson wrote:
> > Just noticed this at Tyan's website dated 07/08/05:
> > TYAN Transport TA26 (B2882)  BIOS V3.03:
> > New features and Fixes :
> ..
> > * Implemented AMD recommend for if 4 or more DDR400 DIMM's are used,
> >   then the DDR speed is forced to DDR333 by default
> > Okay, it's the 4 or more DIMMS that caught my eye.  Especially since on
> > a previous occassion they had specifically recommended Opteron 246 or
> > faster for use with DDR400.  So now if I ugrade to the latest BIOS my
> > 4x1GB sticks of DDR400 will be forced to run at DDR333 speeds.
> >
> > <vent>
> > Fantastic!! Just what I always wanted.  AMD ROCKS!!  Market CPU's as
> > supporting DDR400 then force us to run at DDR333 when you realize you
> > screwed up!
> > </vent>
>
> I suspect these docs are overly terse and this applies to double-sided,
> double-stacked DIMM's, which put twice the load on the memory data bus
> and thus load the memory data bus beyond AMD's specification for
> pre-revision E Opteron CPU's.
>
> > And then there's the bank interleaving issue....
>
> What is wrong with bank interleaving?

No clues.  I was getting ready to order a couple more of these puppies
and happened to run across this whilst on Tyan's site:

<http://www.tyan.com/support/html/b_ta26b2882.html>;

Just a terse listing of the issues the BIOS update addresses.  There
wern't any links to the referenced "AMD recommend".

Alas, my current cpu's are pre rev. E (CG).  I'm using Corsair 4 x 1GB
ECC Reg. sticks of DDR400 ram.  I've not seen any issues.  Noticed a
BIOS upgrade and since I usually keep my systems current on BIOS....
Didn't want to do this upgrade w/o further investigation though since I
am not keen on forcing DDR333.  Perhaps the "by default" means you can
still change it in the BIOS.  So I was just curious about what those
more guru than I in the freebsd-amd64 camp might think.

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?