Date:      Fri, 28 Oct 2011 19:10:11 GMT
From:      John Blazek <freebsd.org@logicalsolutns.com>
To:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/161710: SSHD starts on boot even if  sshd_enable=

The following reply was made to PR conf/161710; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: John Blazek <freebsd.org@logicalsolutns.com>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 13:48:20 -0500

 Hello,

 I respectfully request/suggest that you attempt to reproduce this, or contact me for a login to one of the servers that demonstrates this behavior.

 It appears you may have summarily dismissed this bug report simply on the basis of not liking inetd (based on your email suggestion to me privately).

 1) inetd does not start sshd as a LISTEN service.
 2) inetd is not configured to listen on EITHER of the two ports that are involved with the SSHD processes that are started
 3) the double startup only occurs when sshd is invoked via /etc/rc.local on boot

 When the invocation is removed from rc.local "NO" instances of sshd are started.

 A) I don't have a closed mind. I'm more than willing to entertain that there is a configuration error.
 B) If it is a configuration error, then it is an error that behaved quite differently in prior versions of FreeBSD.

 The same configuration has been used on these servers for years.

 -john