Date:      Fri, 06 Jan 2012 23:31:12 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Realtek RTL8191SEvB Linux driver?
References:  <CAFpTYWM3ppJsVo-qZC=OXWHW1U5zAt3y5m==6hFw3JQNH%2B5NAg@mail.gmail.com> <4F02A3CE.7020404@herveybayaustralia.com.au> <20120103071028.4964dd33@scorpio> <4F030E00.5020806@herveybayaustralia.com.au> <Pine.GSO.4.64.1201031101580.7621@age7.nber.org> <4F038F8F.3090701@herveybayaustralia.com.au> <alpine.LFD.2.00.1201031922400.26468@nber4.nber.org> <4F03A678.6050903@herveybayaustralia.com.au> <904803AA-31CD-41EC-927A-51A9EB49DEB6@googlemail.com> <4F04DB08.8020100@herveybayaustralia.com.au> <20120105214238.GA1478@ideapad.piggybox>

On 01/06/12 07:42, Peter Harrison wrote:
> Thursday,  5 January 2012 at  9:04:40 +1000, Da Rock said:

>>> Da Rock,
>>>
>>> I've been using ndis drivers successfully with a Broadcom chip in my
>>> Lenovo s10-e since I bought it some years ago - to the extent that I've
>>> not yet switched over to the native drivers now available.
>>>
>>> I didn't find using ndisgen too problematic. Just a case of finding the
>>> right driver files and following the manpage. I'd strongly recommend
>>> trying it in preference to a usb stick (been there, done that) or buying
>>> new hardware - although I'd agree that depending on the model changing a
>>> mini-PCI card isn't necessarily that difficult (I changed it t an Intel
>>> card in my other Dell laptop some time ago - remember to attach the
>>> internal aerial cable!).
>> Make no mistake I'm not being facetious. How did you do it?
>>
>> The biggest problem I had was that there are multiple firmware for
>> different scenarios that are loaded. One for base station mode, one for
>> adhoc, and one more I think... They got in the way of using it correctly.
> Da Rock,
>
> The short answer is, I'm not honestly sure. It was a couple of years ago and it's given absolutely no trouble since - a genuine "fit and forget" solution.
>
> I remember it as being a question of finding and unpacking the right file then using the .sys and .inf files to create a kernel module using ndisgen.
>
> Don't recall having any problems with firmware. The only issue I recall was I think to do with converting the .inf file to unicode, but I might have mis-remembered that.
>
> Sorry I can't be more help.
I think I hit the same issue, but after running through a few iterations
I gave up as I saw no more options.

Don't worry, mine was the same- a few years ago, and I forget the exact
details too... Fortunately when one does get things working with FreeBSD
there is virtually never a reason to return to the scene of the crime :)
unlike some systems...

Cheers