Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 15:00:55 -0800
From:      "Jimi Thompson" <jimit@myrealbox.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Refusing Connections

This is a strange one.  Here's the deal.  The traffic doesn't even appear to
be making it as far as the Apache process.  That's why I was looking for
something in the OS that would be blocking it (like the firewall).

#
# Listen: Allows you to bind Apache to specific IP addresses and/or
# ports, in addition to the default. See also the <VirtualHost>
# directive.
#
# Change this to Listen on specific IP addresses as shown below to
# prevent Apache from glomming onto all bound IP addresses (0.0.0.0)
#
#Listen 12.34.56.78:80
Listen 80

Yep and I'm not getting a thing in the error logs either.  My access log is
totally empty.

My error log shows this when I stop and restart it by hand -

[Sat Dec 21 23:48:19 2002] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down

[Sat Dec 21 23:48:25 2002] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN)
`web1' does NOT match server name!?
[Sat Dec 21 23:48:28 2002] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN)
`web1' does NOT match server name!?
[Sat Dec 21 23:48:28 2002] [notice] Apache/2.0.43 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.43
OpenSSL/0.9.6g configured -- resuming
normal operations

Netstat,  however, has other ideas -

 netstat -an -finet -ptcp
Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
tcp4       0      0  4.60.243.40.22         4.60.243.201.1277
ESTABLISHED
tcp4       0      0  *.8021                 *.*                    LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.8080                 *.*                    LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.587                  *.*                    LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.25                   *.*                    LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  4.60.243.40.22         *.*                    LISTEN

Thanks,

Ms. Jimi Thompson

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed
by those who are dumber. - Plato