Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 21:08:13 -0400
From:      "ScaryG" <scaryg@sympatico.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: I broke my Gnome

|O|>just a suggestion but try "man portupgrade"  pay special attention to
|O|>--force, and --upward-recursive.  Also take note of the examples.
|O|>Hope this helps.

 Nope.

 I think I need to stop using the -r option with portupgrade.

 I had this problem before, and was unable to get the ports to all compile,
so I jumped into /stand/sysinstall and did it from there.

 I'm a little confused as to why the "packages" are at the same release
level as the ports, and that caused two versions of the same "pkg" to exist
on my system. That was the start of my problems.

 I can't get Gnome to finish compiling. In fact, Xfree 3 won't even load
anymore. I upgraded it, and no matter what I try with the config file, it
loads, and craps out.

 I'm somewhat miffed (and pissed!) at all this. My freebsd box in my
internet gateway, web server, et al, but it's kinda stupid having it around
if all it'll do is command prompt stuff.

 I'm trying to work with Xfree 4 now because I want to get my ATI Rage Pro
with TV working.

 In a week or so I'll just toss the computer out the window. No wonder
Windoze is so popular, just load up a Cd and go, versus dick around for
weeks and get no where with these other systems. It doesn't make sense. (can
you tell I'm frustrated again?)

gf