Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:18:43 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS pool upgrade to v14 broke ZFS booting

I have a FreeBSD guest running under VirtualBox 3.1.2 on Mac OS X.  It's =
running a recent 8-STABLE and is a ZFS-only install booting via =
gptzfsboot.  I use this VirtualBox guest as a test install.

A day or so ago I noticed "zpool status" report that my pool could be =
upgraded from v13 to v14.  I did this, via "zfs upgrade -a".

Today, when attempting to fire up this FreeBSD guest in VirtualBox I get =
this on the console:

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
ZFS: unsupported ZFS version 14 (should be 13)
No ZFS pools located, can't boot
_
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

and the boot halts at that point.  I don't see the boot menu I normally =
see that lists the opportunity to boot single-user; disable ACPI; and so =
on.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is this a mismatch between gptzfsboot =
and my current pool version?  (Gptzfsboot includes the message I'm =
seeing.)  Am I supposed to rebuild and replace gptzfsboot every time the =
pool version is updated?  (There was no advisory in /usr/src/UPDATING =
concerning this, nor do I remember seeing it elsewhere.)

Now I have to figure out how to dig out from this.  Well, I guess that's =
what test installations are for... :-)

Cheers,

Paul.=