Date:      Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:36:42 +0700 (ICT)
From:      Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
To:        jim@freeze.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need advice on building a system with a Raid drive

> I am building a new system and plan to use two
> 300GB drives in a raid 1 configuration. However,
> I have read where fbsd can't boot from a raid
> drive, but it is not clear why.

Is that hardware raid or software raid?

Hardware RAID there is no restriction as FreeBSD will see your RAID
set as one single big disk.

Software RAID, I think it is feasible (I remember reading something
about that) with some tricks (at boot time the boot disk should be
seen un RAIDed until the RAID software is activated or something like
that).

Olivier