Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2003 19:08:17 +0100
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Subject:   Re: disklabel - 8th partition shows "X" as Partition name

Hi Mike,

>>I once tried to use (in DOS-terms) logical partitions within an
>>extended partition. This is possible, if you do the math and creation
>>of partition tables by hand, but is not supported by the FreBSD tools.
>

> No, you don't need to do anything by hand. Just disklabel /dev/amr0s5
> and so on, and create the partitions in it. I will note that on
> 5.0-RELEASE, the extended slice devices didn't get created for me.

Yes, disklabel worked o.k., I talked about potential problems with
(DOS-term) partition tables, aka slice tables.
It's about two years ago, that I experimented with FBSD and
"extended/logical slices", but at least fdisk and /stand/sysinstall
didn't support those then. Did this change? At the moment I don't have
a spare system to experiment and check this myself.

Ciao
Siegbert