Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 2000 05:34:28 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE tree?

On Sat, 01 Apr 2000, Will Andrews wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 01, 2000 at 03:28:35AM -0600, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> > Sorry, I don't see what this has to do with my comment. KDE2 is a different
> > product. IHMO, it should never occupy the same namespace (in our source tree)
> > as KDE1. Eventually, KDE1 will disappear just as FreeBSD 2.x is doing.
> > But in the interim, they each need their own namespace. And that namespace
> > should not be one that is shared in time.
>
> Yes, they do occupy the same namespace. Hard as it is to believe, I've seen
> a program go from being written with Qt 1.45 to Qt 2.0. Sometimes they're
> written with KDE 1.x and Qt 2.0, sometimes KDE 1.x and Qt 1.45, sometimes
> KDE 2.x and Qt 2.0. Imura-san also has a few Qt/KDE programs that can only
> use his i18n'd Qt 1.45 libraries.
>
> Let me know when they perfect their release engineering and I will be happy
> to consider them separate products.
>
> In the meantime, I still have to support 2 versions of Qt and 2 versions of
> KDE (well, once they release KDE2), so that users will be able to use the
> widest range of Qt/KDE software.

I don't think that you understand what I am saying at all.

KDE1 and KDE2 are two distinct "products" that we (FreeBSD) need to support
at the same time.

I am talking about the FreeBSD namespace, not whatever namespace these products
use. IOW, there is a "kde1" AND a "kde2" in our namespace and not simply a
"kde". As we work with various ports which USE these, we need to say that the
port requires kde1-libs or kde2-libs and not simply kde-libs.

Similarly, there is a QT-1.?, Qt-2.0 AND Qt-2.1 (and others) which are all
distinct.