Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 06:51:11 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
Cc:        Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>, MaTrIxDPN@aol.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Su[2] was:(no subject)

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 02:32:31PM +1000, Doug Young wrote:
> Hey I'm no expert :) ...... I guess its to do with maximizing security
> though. The general idea is to control what applications users can run. Our
> policy here is to not have any users (even sysadmins) in wheel group. The
> only true root access is at the actual machine & users are given su access
> to only those functions necessary for them to do whatever they need.
>

> > Do you know why not?  Details, I need details.  :)
> >
> > > at least add the users to another group & then add the group to
> > > wheel,

This is plain silly, possibly even more likely to suffer from
administrative cockups. And doesn't help one iota ... however
far you indirect a user through groups if he ends up as being
in group wheel all you have done is complicate things.

A good reason to have an alternative entry than group wheel is
is if you want to have a root clone with a useable shell, as
opposed to "csh".

Sudo is a reasonable alternative for controlled root access.

Roll on Plan9, no conecpt of a root user in that O/S :)

Cliff