Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:31:48 +0100
From:      Christoph Sold <christoph.sold@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Suyog.Vaidya@Vashimail.ltitl.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Regarding Multicast support

Suyog.Vaidya@Vashimail.ltitl.com schrieb:

> Hello,
> Is multicast support inbuilt for FreeBSD3.x and/or FreeBSD4.x and if so, does it
> have to be enabled by any means?
> Any advice on this please?
>
> When I do a netstat -g on our FreeBSD3.x machine, it says multicasting not
> supported.

so@miraculix:~$ cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/
so@miraculix:conf$ grep multicast GENERIC LINT
LINT:# MROUTING enables the kernel multicast packet forwarder, which
works

It seems FreeBSD supports multicasting, but it is not supported with the
GENERIC kernel. To enable it, you have to build a custom kernel. See the
FreeBSD handbook about that.

HTH
-Christoph Sold