Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:13:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jin Guojun (DSD staff) <jin@george.lbl.gov>
To:        jhb@FreeBSD.ORG, kbyanc@posi.net
Cc:        Bryan.Bradsby@capnet.state.tx.us, bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, cshenton@uucom.com, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, jin@george.lbl.gov
Subject:   Re: AMD k7-750 + ASUS K7V

John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
} >
} >> > A friend had a similar install: k7-700 k7v. I think he had to disable
} >> > bios virus checking and/or the following hack. Let bios boot without
} >> > the floppy then fail. After it says "insert system disk" or whatever,
} >> > insert the floppy and hit return. One of these or the combo got him running
} .
} >>
} >> A little summary:
} >>
} >> To disable the BIOS virus protection is the key to make installation working
} >> on AMD-K7 + ASUS K7V for all versions after 3.5 and 4.x.
} >>
} >> But this seems a bug because 2.2.8-RELEASE can install on such new hardware.
} >> When 2.2.x branch was out of archive, the K7 even has not born yet.
} >> So, must be the new installation introducing a bug to cause the problem.
} >>
} >> Here to thank all people has replied for the help,
} >>
} >
} >   One quick addendum, I believe that is this fixed in -current. John
} > Baldwin and I tackled this a couple of weeks ago.
}
} Except that I b0rked it in that the jne after the failing cmp to test
} for instructions with the 0x0f prefix jumped to the wrong target.
} Rev 1.19 that I committed today should actually work. :P

The 5.0-20000630-CURRENT boots on this platform now with/without
"boot virus detection";  but it failed at starting the MENU :
the screen is blue forever, if hit the ENTER key, it says :

	Probing devices: please wait (this can take a while)

and then reboot the system with/without "boot virus detection" enabled.
It is a generic failure on all platforms. On a generic system, the above
message will show up and following another message at the bottom --

Fatal Error: Unable to open disk md1 -- PRESS ANY KEY TO REBOOT

This version installation floppies also failed on K6-II with VA-503+ M/B,
It (deadly) hangs on the changing kern.flp to mfsroot.flp.

	-Jin