Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 12:22:38 -0500
From:      "Johnson, Bob" <BJohnson@gainesville.usda.ufl.edu>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'alanchar@meer.net'" <alanchar@meer.net>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD 3.4 Upgrade crashese

What method did you use to do the upgrade?  It sounds like
you tried to do a fresh install of 3.4-RELEASE.  There is a
bug in the sysinstall program for 3.4-RELEASE that causes
a signal 11 for some choices.  See the errata file at
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.4-RELEASE/ERRATA.TXT
for more information about how to deal with it.  Basically,
you can either use different menu choices to accomplish the
same thing, or you can download a fixed version of the
MFSROOT floppy.

To upgrade from 3.3 to 3.4, though, it seems to me that it
might be better to CVSUP the latest source, then build a new
system.  That way you get all of the latest updates (since the
3.4 release) and you don't lose your configuration files.
If you don't have hard drive space for the source, or
time for a slow processor to build the system (about a day on
a 486), that might not be an option for you.  Chapter 17 of the
FreeBSD handbook explains how to do this:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cutting-edge.html

Good luck!

-- Bob

>Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 10:17:29 PST
>From: Alan Char <alanchar@meer.net>
>Subject: FreeBSD 3.4 Upgrade crashese
>
>Hi.  I tried to upgrade to 3.4 (from 3.3) today, and when I
>selected Custom for the distribution, it got a signal 11.
>According to the debug output, the last thing it did was
>unzip /stand/help/distributions.hlg.gz (returned status 0).
>Is there anything I can do to fix this, or just wait until
>the next release?  Thanks.  --Alan Char, alanchar@meer.net.

Bob Johnson
Local Network Administrator
USDA - ARS - CMAVE