Date:      Wed, 06 Sep 2000 12:13:09 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        media@mail1.nai.net, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Partitioning "new" hard drive??

> What is the best way to completely erase and re-partition the disk??  I've
> already removed the old partitions under DOS using FDISK, and then used
> FORMAT to format it as one 3G disk, so I could use SCANDISK to check it for
> problems.  It's scanning now.

The low level format suggested by my predecessor, is only necessary, if you want
to remap bad sectors. Normal fdisk is o.k. to create three partitions. I would
recommend to make the BeOS one smaller than the others. Itīs really nice, but
there is an apparent lack of free applications, most useful things are
shareware. Didnīt boot it for weeks now. One of the best things of it, is its
fine bootmanager: type "bootman" at a BeOS shell. So begin with Win, then
FreeBSD then BeOS. This will ease things.

> I have used FIPS 2.0 to create a FreeBSD partition in the past when
> software was already installed on the primary DOS partition, but this disk
> should be completely empty.  Should I try to create three partitions with
> FDISK, or is there a better way??
>
> Also, should I use FAT or FAT32??  The disk is 3G.

Use FAT32. Itīs supported by Linux, BeOS and FreeBSD, too. FAT 16 is outdated
and because of the bigger cluster size, you need for partitions >516 MB, itīs a
waste of disk space.

Ciao
Siegbert