Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:27:32 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8.0 and GPT_PART and core-dump

Patrick Lamaiziere wrote:
> Le Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:30:25 +0200,
> "Paul B. Mahol" <onemda@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>>> With 8.0, FreeBSD see my disk with several parts instead slices.
>>> That works fine but the kernel is not able to core dump to my swap
>>> (ad4p3a) and I can't break into the debuger (laptop with an usb
>>> keyboard).
>> For first one it looks like table is broken.
>
> It's a Macbook Pro partitionned with the Apple bootcamp utility.
> I'm not sure if I shall fill a PR for this, it looks to be a hack just
> for running MS-Windows on a Mac. But that worked fine with 7.X
>
>> The last one is unrelated to gpart
>
> I know, I meant I really need to be able to dump a panic.
>
> Any hint is welcome.

When the kernel attempts a dump on the device, do you perhaps see a
message like "partition type unsupported?". One thing that's changed in
GPART is that it will not allow dumps on partitions marked like they
contain a file system.

Specifically, if you're using GPT, the dump partition's type needs to be
  either gpt_uuid_freebsd_swap or gpt_uuid_linux_swap. For FreeBSD swap,
it's 516e7cb5‐6ecf‐11d6‐8ff8‐00022d09712b.