Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 2004 23:01:09 +0100
From:      Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
To:        Robert Fitzpatrick <robert@webtent.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building Heimal without using ports

Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:

> Still need the patch? Since I have all installed above.
Nope, the port links with the installed OpenLDAP 2.1,
only a false dependency is recorded. `pkgdb -F' should
fix this.

> What do you think of 2.2?
It makes nearly no difference for the client libraries. I prefer
to wait until the fuzz on openldap-software@ has settled before
switching defaults, though. But everybody is free to choose
him/herself, that's what WANT_OPENLDAP_VER is good for.

>>Depending on what you want to do, you need to compile OpenLDAP with
>>SASL support, Cyrus SASL with Heimdal GSSAPI or Heimdal with OpenLDAP
>>support. See for example <http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?file=544>;
>
> I guess I should start from scratch and rebuild my OpenLDAP as you
> suggested. It was built a while back and not sure what options I have
> built-in. I will follow the doc you suggested. My question is if I
> rebuild OpenLDAP, do I go back into the /usr/ports/net/openldap2x-server
> and portupgrade again or did the portupgrade bring something else down
> for me to work with 2.1.27 directly?

No, but you have to correct the falsely recorded dependency with pkgdb -F
again. Don't forget to tailor /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf to suit your needs.
OpenLDAP/SASL/Kerberos can be tricky, search to OpenLDAP Software
Archives for some help: <http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/>;

Regards
    Oliver