Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:01:55 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dynamic filetypes.  please comment.

Alfred Perlstein scribbled this message on Jun 26:
> This idea leads us to a generic api for seqeunce number generation
> that we can use when a subsystem needs an increasing unique number,
> the api would look something like:
>
>    (void)sequence_register("filetypes", starting_number);
>    mynum = sequence_next("filetypes"); /* to be used for f_type */

shouldn't we use newbus for this?  and treat this like device driver
assignment?  we can "wire" down filetypes numbers using the same method
that drivers are wired down with...

Inventing another interface for one that already exists seems redundant..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 408 975 9651
  Cu Networking