Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:04:05 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New scheduler - Interactivity fixes

Thus spake Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>:
> I'd prefer to allow multiple schedulers to be compiled in (or KLD'd),
> with a sysctl to select which one (preferably alterable at runtime).
> This reduces(?) the problem to:
> - ensure that at least one scheduler is present before trying to use it
> - picking a default scheduler when multiple schedulers are present.

Some researchers at Microsoft implmeneted dynamically loadable
schedulers for Windows NT a few years ago.  There idea was to
allow applications to load different algorithms for different
parts of the system.  I think they subsequently developed it to
the point where you could have a hierarchy of schedulers, all at
the same time.  While some of their ideas have the potential to
become incredibly complicated on the long and winding path from
research prototype to the real world, it may be helpful to look at
their design.  (Also note that KSE does allow applications to have
some control over scheduling policies among their threads and
KSEs, so we probably ought to leverage that...AFTER we have a
working KSE implementation.)

I can't find the Microsoft Research paper that I remember, but I
did find an older, less detailed paper on the same topic:
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/candea98vassal.html