Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:11:41 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Chris Hastie <lists@oak-wood.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with Postfix port

Chris Hastie wrote:

>Yesterday I upgraded a 5.1 system to 5.4. I then cvsuped the ports tree and
>rebuilt Postfix from mail/postfix.
>
>I am having problems with spawn and pipe. Spawn complains
>
>postfix/spawn[36315]: fatal: unknown user name: nobody
>
>although nobody is a user on the system. Changing the the user in master.cf does
>not improve things.
>
>Pipe complains
>
>postfix/pipe[38272]: fatal: invalid option: ?
>
>I've asked the question on the postfix-users list, and with respect to the pipe
>problem Wietse has responded:
>
>"> postfix/pipe[38272]: fatal: invalid option: ?
>
>You built Postfix with the GNU version of the getopt()
>system routine. That version is not compatible with
>the FreeBSD getopt() system routine.
>
>To build Postfix on FreeBSD you MUST USE the FreeBSD
>getopt() system routine, not the GNU version."
>
>Is this likely to be the case if I installed from the port? If so, how do I get
>around it? And any suggestions about spawn?
>
>Thanks

It doesn't seem likely to me that this is the problem,
unless one of a couple of things has occurred:  one
would be that the port maintainer has written a broken
Makefile or made some related error, and the other that
FreeBSD's getopt() has changed in some way.  Neither
of these seems too likely, either.

However, systems do change, and it's a long, long way
from 5.1 to 5.4.  Did you carefully read /usr/src/UPDATING?
/usr/ports/UPDATING?

It might be wise to use "portupgrade -rR" or something
similar to update PostFix, or, if this isn't a production box,
uninstall and reinstall the port (though that seems too
"Microsoftie" to me....)

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey

--