Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 1998 01:19:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Dave Bodenstab <imdave@mcs.net>
To:        david.chamberlain@ibm.net, scrappy@hub.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Apache and databases

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>

> On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, David Chamberlain wrote:
>
> > I saw a product called MySQL, which looks pretty good.  I can probably figure
> > out how to install that and make it work from the instructions.
>
> 	I'm biased...MySQL has a commercial-use license, so for someone
> that is worried about buying more hardware, you'll probably want to avoid
> using MySQL.  Check out PostgreSQL (http://www.postgresql.org), which
> falls under Berkeley license and is free for use, period.  No "unless you
> use it for this, or this or this"...

I've seen several posts that claim that MySQL costs.  The mySQL web page
(http://www.tcx.se/Manual_chapter/manual_Licensing_and_Support.html) states:

  3 Licensing or When do I have/want to pay for MySQL?

  Basic licensing issues:

  +   The easiest way to pay for MySQL is to use the license form at TcX's secure server at
      https://www.tcx.se/license.htmy
  +   We hope everybody understands that you only have to pay if you are selling MySQL directly or
      selling a product which includes the MySQL server. You may not include MySQL in a distribution if
      you charge for some part of it. For internal use you do not have to pay us if you do not want to.
  +   The client code is in the Public Domain or under the GPL (readline). You do not need a license to
      include client code in commercial programs.
  +   We may add some additional functionality in the commercial version. The likely test candidate for
      this is fast compressed read-only databases. The current server includes support to read such
      databases but not the packing tool. If we get enough revenue from support we will probably release
      this under the same license as the other stuff.
  +   But if you like MySQL and want to encourage further development you are welcome to purchase a
      license or support.

Unless I don't understand english, point #2 tell me clearly that there is no charge
to simply use mySQL -- even commercially.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Dave Bodenstab
imdave@mcs.net