Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 18:02:42 +0100
From:      Richard Morte <ric@sinclairassoc.force9.co.uk>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem Accessing Internet via FreeBSD Gateway

Brian Somers wrote:

> > Brian,
> >
> > Thank you once again for helping out. Yes, I did have TCP extensions
> > enabled but, having disabled it in rc.conf, I still have the same
> > problems.
>
> And have you got
>
> gateway_enable=YES
>
> in rc.conf too ?

Yes I have.

> > Also see my postings under "Traceroute Problems via Gateway". I think
> > its the same problem.
> [.....]
>
> Yes, and you've got a DNS on the gateway box... so DNS lookups work
> ok because nothing's being forwarded !
> --
Agreed, nothing's being forwarded, but I'm afraid you've lost me here...
the gateway box is configured for DNS and DNS does seem to forward
packets to the Windows clients because the IP address appears in the dos
window. But that's all that appears and the process times out.

The only other alternative to DNS was to make sure there were
appropriate entries in /etc/hosts on the Gateway m/c and similar copies
of hosts on the windows boxes. But this didn't work so that's when I
first configured DNS. But note that the windows boxes still have
c:\windows\hosts configured correctly as a fallback in case DNS doesn't
work.

However, since posting the original message, I have configured a dual
boot machine on the network using a spare h/drive. Same problem. Local
network accesses are OK; cannot link to the net from the 2nd FreeBSD
machine. So the problem has to be with the gateway. I have the DNS/Bind
cricket book (latest edition), Greg Lehey's excellent book and the
O'Reilley Apache book, all of which I have read and re-read many times -
but I've still got something misconfigured somewhere. I've also tried
running ppp without the -alias flag and *then* launching natd using the
-n tun0 flag, but this gives exactly the same result.

Brian, I just seem to be completely stuck with the current symptoms and
cannot see what the underlying cause is.

Could you tell me more about "nothing's being forwarded" and what checks
I can make?

Kind regards,
Ric