Date:      Sun, 8 Jan 2017 15:41:33 +0100
From:      Roman Divacky <rdivacky@vlakno.cz>
To:        Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Toolchain <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>, Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com>, FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>, Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Subject:   Re: clang 3.9.0 buildkernel on old powerpc64's vs. trying to build hwpmc_e500.o and the like. . . [Actually .__start code failure vs. working and R_PPC64_ADDR16_DS vs. R_PPC64_TOC16_DS]
References:  <20161208221452.GA42380@vlakno.cz> <20161212210922.GA27403@vlakno.cz> <613BB28B-46F1-4959-B576-C8AD42A21200@dsl-only.net> <20170107085126.GA82107@vlakno.cz> <2B5FDD60-4D8B-4803-B59C-3C569BA36E68@dsl-only.net> <FB7F73D7-BF8F-4477-8057-1404D27622A8@dsl-only.net> <45C94BFE-4F93-4897-A767-518DACB5D28B@dsl-only.net> <20170108090307.GA3140@vlakno.cz> <1BBC8304-F9E8-4181-A287-11DD8E73B31F@dsl-only.net> <A88C2D49-FAF2-4026-B9C1-A1D3C1E39287@dsl-only.net>

Mark,

Would you be interested in trying lld? It has some support for ppc/ppc64, w=
hich
is probably quite incomplete but it would be nice to know what exactly is
missing.

We also have some people (emaste@, davide@) that have non-trivial lld knowl=
edge
so perhaps progress can be achieved on this side easily?

Roman

On Sun, Jan 08, 2017 at 02:57:11AM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
> [...]
> > I'll see about switching to such code before providing a
> > patch. I'd include the "0, " update to the cmp instruction.
> >=20
> > But adding @toc's in those instructions (with prior workarounds
> > as well) did allow me to build a bootable system based on using
> > devel/powerpc64-binutils and clang 3.9.1 for both buildworld
> > and buildkernel --still using clang's internal assembler.
> >=20
> > One issue is that clang does not support (or need) the
> > -mminmal-toc in sys/modules/zfs/Makefile but gcc 4.2.1
> > requires it. For sys/modules/zfs/Makefile my source
> > currently does not support gcc 4.2.1 without editing.
> > As I remember devel/powerpc64-gcc
> > (devel/powerpc64-xtoolchain-gcc) does not require the
> > -mminimal-toc either. But devel/powerpc64-gcc does
> > allow -mminimal-toc so it can be a clang vs. gcc based
> > choice.
> >=20
> > I  might also deal with that before providing patches.
> >=20
> > Note: -mlongcall was also not needed nor used for clang.
> > (Still used for gcc.)
> >=20
> > sys/boot/powerpc/kboot/Makefile has a -mcpu=3Dpowerpc64
> > and -Wa,-mppc64bridge that I eliminated (they messed up
> > 32-bit powerpc builds) but I've no way to test kboot that
> > I know of. This patch might be rejected.
> >=20
> > Remember that I got this far in part by using your partial
> > e500-instructions patch. I can provide my variant that
> > is a diff with -r311147 instead of an older place in the
> > history. But it would be incomplete coverage of those 2
> > instructions in clang.
> >=20
> > Also I build with a workaround for PowerMac G5 boot
> > reliability since OpenFirmware and FreeBSD interact
> > badly at times on PowerMac G5's. This I would not
> > provide as it is PowerMac G5 specific.
> >=20
> >> If gnu as warns and llvm assembler does the wrong thing without @toc a=
nd both
> >> do the correct thing with @toc I think it's an obvious decision.
> >=20
> > My choice would be to supply the @toc notation in some way,
> > not necessarily the form I used for the initial test.
> >=20
> >> Also, with all these changes. Does clang compiled kernel boot?
> >=20
> > The PowerMac G5 so-called "Quad Core" that I currently have access
> > to is now running from buildworld and buildkernel based on
> > devel/powerpc64-binutils and clang 3.9.1 :
> >=20
> > Copyright (c) 1992-2017 The FreeBSD Project.
> > Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
> >       The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
> > FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
> > FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #2 r311147M: Sat Jan  7 16:55:01 PST 2017
erpc.powerpc64/usr/src/sys/GENERIC64vtsc-NODBG powerpc
> > FreeBSD clang version 3.9.1 (tags/RELEASE_391/final 289601) (based on L=
LVM 3.9.1)
> > . . .
> >=20
> > # uname -apKU
> > FreeBSD FBSDG5L 12.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #2 r311147M: Sat Jan =
 7 16:55:01 PST 2017     markmi@FreeBSDx64:/usr/obj/powerpc64vtsc_clang_alt=
binutils_kernel/powerpc.powerpc64/usr/src/sys/GENERIC64vtsc-NODBG  powerpc =
powerpc64 1200019 1200019
> [...]
> still --and a port built and installed.
>=20
> [On a powerpc64 system devel/binutils could be used.]
>=20
> There is also the issue with throwing C++ exceptions
> in code when clang 3.9.1 was the code generator used.
>=20
> =3D=3D=3D
> Mark Millard
> markmi at dsl-only.net
>=20
> On Sat, Jan 07, 2017 at 04:28:48PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
> > [Top post about FreeBSD bugzilla 215819 and llvm bugzilla
> > 31574 submittals for the issue involved.]
> >=20
> > My guess is that FreeBSD will view this as a kernel
> > source code issue and not as a toolchain issue. But
> > it is only a guess on my part.
> >=20
> >=20
> > I have submitted llvm bugzilla 31574 for this issue. It
> > includes example .S file content that shows the "problem"
> > in the generated .o file (form FreeBSD's view point).
> > (I've no clue how llvm views its criteria relative to this
> > mismatch with gcc/binutils.)
> >=20
> > Because FreeBSD source code changes (being explicit about
> > @toc) avoid the distinction between clang and gcc/binutils
> > I've not added 31574 to the Depends on list for llvm 25780
> > (the FreeBSD system compiler issues META entry in llvm).
> >=20
> > Someone with official status for FreeBSD could add 31574 to
> > llvm's 25780 if FreeBSD wants to push llvm to match
> > gcc/binutils for "@toc notation missing".
> >=20
> > Otherwise this is a kernel source code issue (as I would
> > guess) and not a toolchain issue.
> >=20
> > Ed Maste or someone like that likely would make the final
> > decision.
> >=20
> >=20
> > I've added to FreeBSD Bugzilla 215819 the new information,
> > including the simple example .S file content that shows the
> > problem in the generated .o file. (Comments #3 and #4
> > have the new material.)
> >=20
> > My guess is that FreeBSD Bugzilla 215819 should no longer
> > be assigned to freebsd-toolchain@FreeBSD.org . Instead it
> > would be a powerpc64 kernel source code issue if I'm right.
> >=20
> > Ed Maste or someone like that likely would make this final
> > decision as well.
> >=20
> > =3D=3D=3D
> > Mark Millard
> > markmi at dsl-only.net
> >=20
> > On 2017-Jan-7, at 3:12 PM, Mark Millard <markmi at dsl-only.net> wrote:
> >=20
> >> [I've supplied a list of places that adding @toc notation should
> >> make clang 3.9.1 targeting powerpc64 do the right thing for
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
                                                      -c \                 =
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
                           -x assembler-with-cpp \                         =
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
-pipe  \                                                                   =
                                                                           =
                        =20
>=20
> >=20
> >>=20
sr/bin/cc \                                                                =
                                                                           =
                                                      -target powerpc64-unk=
nown-freebsd12.0 \                                                         =
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
                           --sysroot=3D/usr/obj/powerpc64vtsc_clang_kernel/=
powerpc.powerpc64/usr/src/tmp \                                            =
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
  -B/usr/obj/powerpc64vtsc_clang_kernel/powerpc.powerpc64/usr/src/tmp/usr/b=
in \                                                                       =
                          =20
>=20
> >=20
> >>=20
                      -c \                                                 =
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
                                                                      -x as=
sembler-with-cpp \                                                         =
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
                                           -pipe  \                        =
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
                locore64_simplified.S
 more                                                                      =
                                                                           =
                                                     =20
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
                                                      -c \                 =
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
                           -x assembler-with-cpp \                         =
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
-pipe  \                                                                   =
                                                                           =
                        =20
>=20
> >=20
> >>=20
 more                                                                      =
                                                                           =
                                                     =20
sr/bin/cc \                                                                =
                                                                           =
                                                      -target powerpc64-unk=
nown-freebsd12.0 \                                                         =
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
                           --sysroot=3D/usr/obj/powerpc64vtsc_clang_kernel/=
powerpc.powerpc64/usr/src/tmp \                                            =
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
  -B/usr/obj/powerpc64vtsc_clang_kernel/powerpc.powerpc64/usr/src/tmp/usr/b=
in \                                                                       =
                          =20
>=20
> >=20
> >>=20
                      -c \                                                 =
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
                                                                      -x as=
sembler-with-cpp \                                                         =
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
                                           -pipe  \                        =
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
                                                                           =
                locore64_simplified.S
 more                                                                      =
                                                                           =
                                                     =20
> >>=20
> >> The following should be a list of the places that adding @toc usage
> >> would fix some things for using clang 3.9.1 to target powerpc64:
> >>=20
> >> # grep "@toc[^b]" /root/sys_typescripts/typescript_make_powerpc64vtsc_=
nodebug_incl_clang_xtoolchain_kernel-amd64-host-2017-01-03:23:48:41 | more