Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 2009 01:20:02 -0400
From:      Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>
To:        "A. Wright" <andrew@qemg.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org Questions -" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Copying files without scp

A. Wright wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Steve Bertrand wrote:
>
>> Can someone recommend a *known good* production quality copy mechanism
>> that will act like scp, but without the overhead? rsh? nc?
>
> If you are happy with rsh authentication, then have you looked at
> plain old rcp?

I reviewed carefully all feedback I received, and since then, I loosely
benchmarked my options.

After all was said and done, using SSH, I found:

- across the 100Mbps infrastructure, I could copy at 89Mbps
- across the Gi infrastructure, I could copy at ~770Mbps

My concern (I found) was coming from my Windows workstation. I was using
a Windows binary version of SCP that is clearly lacking somewhere in the
stack. FBSD to FBSD produced the above results. The 100Mb infrastructure
hops one router and two switches, and the gig makes a hop across one
edge router, a core router, and three switches.

When I can get 75-90% line rate encrypted, I'll stay with that.

I do appreciate all the feedback, as always ;)

Steve