Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 1995 01:25:02 +0000 ()
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: 2.0-950322-SNAP bindist error

On Sat, 25 Mar 1995, Brian Tao wrote:

>     Could someone verify the bin.* segments on freefall and/or Walnut
> Creek's FTP archive?  The ones on the local Taiwan mirror
> (netbsd.csie.nctu.edu.tw) are corrupted.  The error is:

    The problem was with a missing file (bin.av) at the mirror site.
Filling it in with bin.av from ftp.freebsd.org fixes the problem.
Shouldn't the install script complain about missing files?  I didn't
catch it the first time around because a filename like bin.a[a-v]
won't return an error (and thus I assumed bin.av was present).  The
install proceeded as if nothing happened.  Of course, when I rebooted
from the hard drive, all hell broke loose when the kernel couldn't
find /usr/sbin, /usr/libexec, etc., etc.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org