Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 23:52:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William Denton <buff@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   What's the best way to build a GENERIC kernel?

Hi,

Before the 'make buildkernel' change to STABLE last month, I had my usual
kernel as /MYCROFT and the generic one as /GENERIC, and every now and then
when I built a new world I'd install a new GENERIC to be on the safe side.
(I once installed the wrong kernel on this machine, and had some trouble
with an old GENERIC, so I like to keep it fairly up to date.)

Now, though, what's the best way to build it?  Building it the normal way
will install it as /kernel, so I'd have to move it out of the way by
hand.  And what about modules?  My custom kernel uses fewer, so would
GENERIC run into trouble if it looked for them and they weren't there?

Bill