Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:20:24 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Carlos A M dos Santos <casantos@cpmet.ufpel.tche.br>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@citusc.usc.edu>
Cc:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, kris@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, qa@FreeBSD.ORG, taguchi@tohoku.iij.ad.jp
Subject:   Re: Making XFree86-4 the default

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 02:43:21AM -0700, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
>
> > Are there any other outstanding issues re throwing the big switch and
> > making XFree86-4 the default now?  (As it says in the subject
> > line...you guys thought I replied to an old mail by mistake? :)
>
> Does the PAM stuff actually work? I thought I heard someone say that
> it doesnt actually do anything.

Well, in 4.1-RELEASE with XFree 3.3.6 it *is* doing something. Look at
/etc/pam.conf.

> Do we depend on the xwrapper by default yet, and not install the
> servers setuid root?

The X server needs to be installed suid root only if you want it to be
started by ordinary users with "startx". XDM already starts the server as
root. The server doesn't use any authentication, PAM or whatever else, XDM
does.

--
Carlos A. M. dos Santos

Federal University of Pelotas         Meteorological Research Center
Av. Ildefonso Simoes Lopes 2791       Pelotas, RS, Brasil, CEP 96060-290
WWW: http://www.cpmet.ufpel.tche.br   RENPAC (X.25): 153231641
Phone: +55 53 277-6767                FAX: +55 53 277-6722