Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 00:25:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Indra <john_indra@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Making web based e-mail for web portals

Dear FreeBSD users...

I hope my questions aren't categorized as out of
topic. But if they do, please forgive me and for those
who like to help, please CC or direct your answers to
m4v3r1ck@bigfoot.com. Thanks before...

Soon I'll receive a project to make some kind of web
portal. I'll manage the web based mail (for now)...

I'm thinking of making FreeBSD as the platform for
running qmail. I'm anxious to try whether my system
can deliver 1000 e-mails concurrently (yes, I've
patched the FreeBSD file descriptor limit and qmail).
As far as no web based interface is needed, I don't
have trouble to setup my mailhub. I can tell people to
read their mails through POP3. But I do really need a
hint when it comes to interfacing the mailbox to the
web.

Can anyone share some experiences?
What is the best way to make this kind of web based
e-mail service? Should I store the mailbox in one
separate computer, running FreeBSD, installed without
any services, just NFS? Or is using NFS such a bad
idea? What type of mailbox should I choose? I'm afraid
if I choose Maildir, there won't be a lot of third
party web based mail interface software that support
it (right now, the only such software I know of is
only Sqwebmail)...

Speaking of third party webmail interface software,
can anyone recommend the best in customization, ease
of use, security, and price?

And, the last questions probably will sound to
ambitious ;-)
Does anyone now how Yahoo make their web mail? What
platform and softwares do it need to make one?

TIA

Regards,
John Indra