Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:38:28 -0500
From:      Jeff Cross <jeff.cross@averageadmins.com>
To:        Adam Martin <adamartin@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell PE850 and FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE - Boot Issues

Adam Martin wrote:

> On 2006 Sep 18 , at 17:39, Jeff Cross wrote:
>
>> Adam Martin wrote:

> [ Trimmed for brevity ]
>
>> Thanks for the reply, Adam.  I actually tried the verbose_logging="YES"
>> in my /boot/loader.conf file prior to posting but it still hangs after
>> the CD-ROM line for some reason.
>
>     Hey, no problem, Jeff.  To be frank, I just signed up for Questions,
> after Google Summer of Code, and yours is the first one I've answered.
> Glad to see that I've started on the right foot though.
>
>> It appears the only way the machine will boot up properly is if I hit 5
>> on the boot menu.  This obviously doesn't make remote reboots very
>> "admin friendly"!
>
>     I know that I setup something like this once, because I needed it to
> always drop to command line.  I can help you emulate what's in menu
> option 5, in a loader.4th script.  But you'll have to drop the pretty
> menu, and logo...  If you're willing let me know.
>

>> Thanks again for your reply!
>
>     Like I said, no problem.  Thanks for your enthusiastic support.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> ADAM David Alan Martin
>
> P.S.: It's still me, the same Adam.  Just figured I should use my
> FreeBSD From: address instead of fsl.

Hey, Adam.  I unplugged the CD-ROM from the mainboard and the first time
it came back up it booted up fine.  However, I immediately rebooted and
it hung on the Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec.  So, since this is
the line that displays before the acd0: CDROM <TEAC CD-ROM
CD-224E-N/3.AB> at ata0-master UDMA33 line, I wonder if it is hanging on
whatever is *after* these in the boot process.

ata2-slave: pio=PIO3 wdma=UNSUPPORTED udma=UNSUPPORTED cable=40 wire
ata2-master: pio=PIO3 wdma=UNSUPPORTED udma=UNSUPPORTED cable=40 wire
afd0: setting PIO3 on SiI 0680 chip
device_attach: afd0 attach returned 6
acd1: setting PIO3 on SiI 0680 chip
acd1: <VIRTUALCDROM DRIVE/> CDROM drive at ata2 as slave
acd1:  PIO3
acd1: Reads:
acd1: Writes:
acd1: Mechanism: caddy
acd1: Medium: CD-ROM unknown
ata4-master: pio=PIO4 wdma=WDMA2 udma=UDMA133 cable=40 wire

Maybe the virtual devices is hosing it up.  I know there is a virtual
floppy drive in here somewhere too...  I can see it in the BIOS but I
can't figure out how to disable it.

Jeff Cross
http://www.averageadmins.com/