Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 14:42:33 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'Code Freeze'

Mike Smith wrote:

> Let me just make one salient observation about this whole thread.
>
> > My point -- and I think, Micheal's, is that a truly stable CD would
> > raise FreeBSD far above the run of the mill Unices -- commercial or
> > otherwise.
>
> The stability, or otherwise, of the CD releases is *entirely* in the
> hands of the user community.

	I disagree strongly with this point taken literally, however see below.

> Previous releases have experimented with protracted BETA and GAMMA
> stages.  Others have adopted the "everything's quiet, lets do it Right
> Now" attitude.
>
> In every single case, people have only ever complained about problems
> _after_ the release is cast in stone.  The temptation is very strong to
> simply ignore this sort of complaint - the gate is closed, the horse
> long gone.

	The last two releases have had problems that had nothing to do with the
user community at all. The 2.2.2 release was a disaster and never should
have happened. There were significant security bugs that were discovered
after the 2.2.5-Release tag was applied but before the CD's were cut and
the decision was made not to do a point release to address those issues.
Whatever the merits of those decisions, they had nothing to do with the
user community at all.

	Now all that being said I agree in principle that the users need to
take a more active role in beta testing releases. I have one of the
heaviest loaded FreeBSD servers in the world and I update the OS as
often as possible (especially close to a release) to do what I can to
help. I also run a day-by-day -Stable at home and squawk loudly when
something happens to it. :)  I know that there are others who do the
same. I think that more people would be willing to get involved with
testing if the last minute crush to get stuff under the wire hadn't been
such a big problem in the past. I think (and this is unfortunate because
I still believe it's a good change) the new slice code is another
example of something that's going to prevent people from being
enthusiastic about beta testing.

	Finally, for all of those calling for a new beta period, are you aware
that the new slice stuff is the only major change since the beta period
was announced?  Do you follow the cvs-all list?  The only things that
have gone in are bug and doc fixes. I don't think another beta period is
required. We're 10 days into the one we have, and 10 more left (at
least) for some more serious testing.

Doug

PS to mike, Can you please send a version of your instructions/warnings
about the new slice code to freebsd-doc with all the latest
information?  I have to admit that I'm a bit fuzzy about the current
canonical instructions and I want to make sure that the info is
available for the "urgent news" web page that Nik's doing and for the
FOO.TXT docs on the CD. Thanks.

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest