Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 1995 16:01:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Michael C. Newell" <mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov>
To:        pechter@sesd.ilex.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers <FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Old 1.1.5.1 ppp problem

On Fri, 23 Jun 1995, William Pechter ILEX Systems wrote:

> I finally got the house a dial-up net connection with PPP.
>
> I seem to be having one major problem.  My modem drops the line on the
> transition between kermit and pppd (or just after pppd starts).

When you exit Kermit it drops DTR, which causes the modem to hang up.
You need to turn off DTR hangup sensing on the modem; for my Hayes Accura
I use "AT&D0" to do this.  An alternative is to use a package like chat
invoked by pppd to do the dialing...

Thanks,

Mike

|Mike Newell                           | The opinions expressed herein are  |
|NASA Science Internet Network Systems | my own, and do not necessarily     |
|Sterling Software, Inc.               | reflect those of the NSI program,  |
|MNewell@nsipo.nasa.gov                | Sterling Software, NASA, or anyone |
|+1-202-434-8954                       | else.                              |
|                  work: http://www.eco.nsi.nasa.gov/~mnewell               |
|                    home: http://www.newell.arlington.va.us                |