Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 22:37:15 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        stephen@farrell.org, gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        tom@uniserve.com, voland@plab.ku.dk, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B network collisions

My hidden microphone recorded Gary Palmer (gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG) saying:

% stephen farrell wrote in message ID
% <87af51bz66.fsf@couatl.uchicago.edu>:
% > Note that full-duplex can also SLOW your network down.  I don't
% > understand this, and am too looking for answers.  However, I switched
% > a 100+ to full-duplex and went from 10Mbps -> 10bps transfer rates to
% > a sparc/sol2.5 box on 10baseT LAN (though connections off the LAN were
% > normal).  Clearly some care needs to be taken in how to configure this
% > card.
%
% This normally only happens on poor (read: cheap, low quality)
% switches. In tests here, full duplex operation doesn't decrease
% performance. We use Catalyst and `Extreme' 100bTX switches.

Hasn't happened in my testing either.  We use Xylan OmniSwitch and
OmniStack, with 100Base-TX connections to desktop machines and
ATM 622 Mbps connections to the backbone *and* the Sun Ultra
servers.  My FreeBSD machine with onboard Intel Pro 100+ moves
pretty quickly on this network, even if it is only a 200 MMX.  ;^)