Date:      Mon, 04 Mar 2013 13:21:23 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Grepping though a disk

Hi Polytropon & cc questions@

> Any suggestion is welcome!

Ideas:
A themed list: freebsd-fs@freebsd.org

There's a bunch of fs tools in /usr/ports/sysutils/

My http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/jhs/bin/public/slice/
 slices large images such as tapes & disks
 (also the slice names would give numbers convertable to offsets
   probaably useful to eg ..a)
man fsdb

A bit of custom C should run a lot faster than shells & greps, eg
when I was looking for nasty files from a bad scsi controller, I wrote
	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/jhs/bin/public/8f/

One could run eg slice asynchronously & suspend ^Z when you run out of
space, & periodicaly run some custom C (like 8f.c) or some find grep -v rm
loop to discard most slices as of no interest. Then resume slicing.

OK, thats doing writes too, so slower than just read & a later dd with
seek=whatever, depends how conservative one's feeling, about doing reruns
with other search criteria.

You mentioned risk of text string chopped across a slice/block boundary.
Certainly a risk. Presumably solution is to search twice.
2nd time after a dd with a half block/ slice size offset,
then slice/search again.

If you runout of space to do that, you might write a temporary
disklabel/bsdlabel with an extra partition with a half block offset
.. dodgy stuff that, do it while you'r wide awake :-)

Always a pain these scenarios, loosing hours of human & CPU time, I hope
data's worth it, good luck.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".