Date:      Wed, 9 May 2001 02:58:04 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        <auto228677@hushmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Fw: Panic on install - page fault syncing discs - 4.1-release

> >Installing 4.1-release FreeBSD...
> >> At a seemingly random point while either extracting/installing the
> >distribution, or
> >while
> >> the "Remaking all devices.. Please Wait!" message is on screen shortly
> >thereafter, the
> >> computer pauses for a fair time (probably around two to five minutes,
> > not always the
> >same
> >> though) then displays the messages...
> >>
> >> panic: page fault syncing discs... 374 374 374 374 374 374 (repeat
> >374 a total of 20
> >> times)
> >> giving up on 328 buffers
> >> Uptime: (whatever)
> >> Automatic reboot in 15 seconds....
> >>

> Once again, this appears similar to the problem I'm experiencing when installing
> 4.2-RELEASE. Installing FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE works fine for me, probably
> because of the wd driver. My error is almost identical to yours, with the
> exception that instead of "page fault" I get "ffs_clusteralloc: map mismatch".
> I suspect it has something to do with the ata driver used in 4.x. Maybe
> it's broken. I dunno... haven't received any feedback at all. This really
> sucks.

out of interest, what motherboard/chipset have you got?

4.1-release worked fine with my older QDI Legend V motherboard (until it exploded, that
was nothing to do with FreeBSD though).

Is there any way of substituting the ata driver for a different version, without
downloading the complete CD ISO again? Would I be able to download the install floppies
for an earlier version of FreeBSD then install the OS from those plus the 4.1-release CD?
I've got a sneaking suspicion that if I kick the hard drive down to PIO only in freeBSD
after it's installed, then it will work....of course, I could be wrong, but as I can't
even get it to install there's not much I can do.

Regards,
Mark