Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 1995 18:43:01 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christian Kratzer <ck@toplink.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   INN Performance on 2.0R

Hi Guys!

We get a very low articles/sec rate on our UUCP news feed.
I would be very interested in seeing some numbers of articles/sec
rates from other similar news servers.

Here's our config:
  - FreeBSD 2.0R
  - INN 1.4
  - 800 mb /var/news on Conner CFP1080S 1gig SCSI drive
  - news and .overview are both on the /var/news partition
    although .overviews are separeted under /var/news/over.view
  - Adaptec 1542CF
  - 486DX4 32MB
  - uucp over tcpip feed using gzip -d

rnews reports that it's getting between 2 and 3 articles/sec from
the uucp feed.  I have heard other people routinely get between 10 and
20 articels/sec.

Something seems to be very wrong here but I can't seem to figure out
what it is.  We will be upgrading to a larger faster /var/news drive
soon and will be separating the overview files to separate spindle
but even with the current configuration I believe we should get at
least 10 articles/sec using uucp.

Any tips ?

Greetings
Christian