Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 2008 23:55:22 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        julian@elischer.org
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: the more build knobs bikeshed

In message: <48CF2975.3010908@elischer.org>
            Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> writes:
: > With these changes I can build a nanobsd image for x86 or arm that is
: > <1/2 the size you can get otherwise (using just the standard knobs).  If
: > you do not use the knobs you should get exactly what you're used to
: > getting.
:
: tinybsd gets its apps together and then uses ldd on each to get the
: minimum set of libraries as well.
: (though that doesn't help with programs that dlopen a bunch of stuff
: such as natd which dlopens all teh libalias*.so libs).

And it doesn't work with cross building because of its use of LDD.  It
needs to use the NEEDED lines in objdump to get this information.

: Tinybsd uses the binaries on your system rather than building them.

Unless you are cross building, in which case it grabs them from an
image that you've installed...

: Now I know that isn't what you want but it sure is faster.. great
: for prototyping a setup I find.. maybe you could point to a prebuilt
: image and just grab from there...

It is useful for prototyping..  I've used a tinybsd-like system in
production, but it didn't do automatic library depends.  It had very
crude cross build support for ports, but only very stupid or very
cooperative ports would work...

: > 2. Some applications that you want are hugely bloated and may benefit
: > from some TLC.  bind comes to mind where I can crunchgen all the bits
: > into a single binary but when built normally you get multiple huge
: > executables.
:
: and there are many programs that have quite a lot of options that
: add space that are rarely used...  a "trim" option might be nice,
: meaning "build the simple version.

Yes.

: > 3. Cross-build and package; I can use nanobsd to build arm images but
: > the packaging facilities are inadequate.  I've got a start on default
: > setups for some boards/packages and would like to see this grow into a
: > library that people can use for reference and/or extend.
:
: we really should import the makefs utilities from NetBSD.. they are in
: ports.

These work great...

: > Anyway,  I'm interested in getting the above patch committed so looking
: > for constructive comments.  I haven't included the files that go under
: > src/tools/build/options (I've done them already).  I also have mods for
: > RELENG_7 that I've been using for a while.

All in all, I think this stuff is great...

Warner