Date:      Sat, 13 Aug 2005 18:57:23 +0800
From:      "Maillists" <maillists@jt.net.au>
To:        <freebsd-i386@freebsd.org>
Subject:   make world - Celeron vs Pentium 4

Hi All

My issue pertains to the make world as used in building a jail type
environment. I have searched Google and not had much success in finding a
solution or a pointer to a solution.

On FreeBSD 5.4 I am following the Jail creation steps as defined in the jail
man page.

     D=/here/is/the/jail

     cd /usr/src

     mkdir -p $D

     make world DESTDIR=$D

     cd etc

     make distribution DESTDIR=$D

     mount_devfs devfs $D/dev

     cd $D

     ln -sf dev/null kernel

Running on my main Pentium 4 computer this works fine, but on other
machines, including Pentium II, Celeron D and VMware machines, the "make
world" crashes out with seemingly insignificant issues.

Eg.

            Ld: cannot find -lc

            Pwd: ipf is not a file

I have now tried this on another Pentium 4 computer and it works. Now, this
is not to say that I have a hardware failure on my non-P4 machines, but it
seems strange that the P4 machines I have tested on worked fine, and all
other platforms have failed.

I have also tried raw CD installs and also CVSup on each platform, and the
failures still plague the non-P4 systems.

All help appreciated.

Regards

Jason