Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:17:26 +1000
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   xscreensaver and gtk12 link problems

[I hope this is the right place; please cc me as I'm not subscribed to ports@]

I'm trying to build xscreensaver-4.04.2 (using the port Makefile rev 1.54).

I don't want or have gnome.  I do have gtk and gdk installed (from the gtk12
port, version 1.2.10 with Makefile rev 1.80).  AFAIK these are the latest
versions.

The build of xscreensaver is failing at link time, trying to link "-lgtk"
which doesn't exist - it is called "-lgtk12". Some serious head scratching and
looking at xscreensaver's configure script has led me to look at pkg-config.

"pkg-config --libs gtk" gives what seems to be the correct output:
	-Wl,-E  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lgtk12 -lgdk12 -lgmodule12 -lglib12 -lintl -lXext -lX11 -lm

but the configure script is calling "pkg-config --libs gtk+" which gives the
bogus output:
	-L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -lintl -lXext -lX11 -lm -lglib

Further investigation leads me to the gtk12 port, which installs the file
	/usr/X11R6/libdata/pkgconfig/gtk+.pc
which contains the bogus data.

Is this a bug in the gtk12 port?

Greg,
still a real novice when it comes to automake and gnome/gtk stuff.