Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 12:10:02 -0500
From:      David Banning <tracker@worldy.com>
To:        bduk@earthlink.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to set Freebsd boot bisk as secondary drive

> I'm really just guessing, but doesn't the kernel config file say where
> to expect root to be?  It's compiled into the kernel.

It seems the config file you speak of  is loader.conf located in
/boot/defaults -
but I notice that it does not set the boot drive (although it can) -
I tried setting it - no go.
If the boot drice is compiled into the kernel I don't know how - I have
never seen it in the kernel config files or set it before compiling a
kernel.

> You probably
> need to use some command line switches to get an initial boot;

Tried -a and -r that only got me a panic and immediate reboot

> You sound more knowledgeable than I am.

Ha!

Thanks for your consideration --