Date:      Sat, 1 Jun 1996 19:05:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for feedback: REQUIRES_OS_VERSION feature.

 * I like this, but I wish that the OS_VERSION could be gotten from uname
 * -r, instead of something set by bsd.port.mk.

I wanted that too, but there is no way to make make define a new
variable or a new target based on the output from a command.

The problem is that we don't want to "exit 1" (that will be easy), we
just want to skip all the targets.  And to skip the targets, we can
define empty targets, but that can't be done based on an output of a
command....

 * 						 Mine shows "2.2-CURRENT",
 * do you know what comes out of other versions, like maybe 2.1 release,
 * or 2.0.5 ?

Actually, I think the 5-digit number scheme is more flexible, as we
can even distinguish between different versions of -current if we
really want. :)

Satoshi