Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 16:04:47 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCCardd

In message <200005241229.VAA00370@daniel.sobral> "Daniel C. Sobral" writes:
: Motivated, I further investigated /etc/rc, and moved pccard
: initialization to right before swapon, edited my fstab, added dumpdev to
: my /etc/rc.conf (with the -z), moved pccard* and logger to /sbin and
: voila'! Things now work as I need them to.

Cool.  One reason we didn't do that is that it will take a long time
to boot on some machines.  The card init stuff takes approx 30 seconds
in OLDCARD.

: Now, I know the new card stuff is going to be very different, but will I
: have the ability to get my aic drives up and running before swapon gets
: run? Depending on how things are planned to work, I'd suggest adding
: some sort of flag by which devices that need to get going earlier, such
: as aic, can be probed for separately (and earlier) than those that need
: to be brought up later, for whatever reasons.

Well, NetBSD kinda supports having root on a pccard device, if the
ROMs support it.  I say kinda, because it supports 1 card, but not two
last time I checked.

NEWCARD, which is a port from NetBSD, will have at most a couple of
seconds of delays and won't need pccardd to be running to do device
attachment.

Warner