Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 09:25:16 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with 3COM 3C509

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 21:05 +0200, Mats Dufberg wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Alson van der Meulen wrote:
>
> > > I have problems installing 4.3-* on a machine with a 3COM
> > > 3C509 card (built in on ISA). After some trials and errors
> > > I've come to the conclusion that I need to give the port
> > > address, but the device is not available to setting at boot
> > > time (of installation).
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > try boot -c, then you should be able to modify the iobase,
> > irq and stuff of the ep0 device
>
> The GENERIC kernel has support for ep, but it is strangely
> enough not availble for setting. It is just not there. I do not
> understand why.

With (modern only?  have there been cards not participating in
this mechanism?) 3com ISA cards usually there's _no_need_ to set
drivers to anything.  AFAIK they have some identification port at
0x110 where their configuration can be read from and written to.
Guess where the 3c5x9cfg gets the data from. :)

From personal experience I would check these points:
- Make sure you turn off the card's PnP function (and do remember
  to power down the machine after throwing the switch -- I've
  seen people hunting problems for hours when they thought C-A-D
  warmboots would do ...)
- Make sure your port 0x110 is available -- i.e. don't put other
  hardware at, say, 0x100 when its window is 0x20 bytes wide.  I
  once had the problem that a 3c509 wasn't recognized correctly
  (or didn't work?  don't know any longer) when I had a PnP ISDN
  card between 0x100 and 0x11f.  Moving it to 0x140 worked fine
  -- I learned to love the isapnp tools (it was a Linux system)!

> When I tried 3.5.1 it was available for adjustment, and then it
> work fine when I set it to IRQ 10 and port 0x250. 4.3 thought
> it was 5 and 0x210 respectively

Well, as long as the driver "downloads" its assumed configuration
into the card, *any* setup should work.  Only when the driver
assumes one configuration, doesn't tell the card about it, but
still doesn't match the card's idea -- that's when things go
wrong.  So it depends on what the driver tells the card in the
initialization phase.  And whether communication via the
identification port 0x110 is possible and works.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net